20th-century avant-garde movement in art and literature which sought to release the creative potential of the unconscious mind, for example by the irrational juxtaposition of images.
The movement was a reaction to the first World War. Psychologically, Europe was in turmoil. The first world war was so massive and so devastating that the art world responded by creating artwork grounded in escapism.
Why create artwork that makes any rational sense when the entire world doesn't make any sense?
Some surreal artists took their inspiration from dream worlds, while others looks more towards current culture and society and took that imagery and subverted it to make a comment about their social state of affairs.
How to create a surreal artwork:
There are a number of key elements that make up a surreal artwork.
Assignment # 1
- What is surrealism?
- What was it a reaction to?
- Why did surreal artists make their artwork look the way it did?
- What is one key element to making a surreal artwork?
- What is a second key element to making a surreal artwork?
- What is a third key element to making a surreal artwork?
- How are the surreal artists like us during this time in our country?
Assignment # 2
You are to create your own original illustration inspired by Surrealism. It MUST include the following:
VIDEO TUTORIAL BELOW IF YOU ARE USING PIXLR E:
Tutorial Below: IF YOU HAVE PHOTOSHOP AND ILLUSTRATOR AT HOME
Assignment # 3